Assistant Professor (Research)
- Department of Business and Management
Nicola Prezza received a Ph.D. in Computer science from the University of Udine in 2017 with a thesis on algorithms and data structures for computation over compressed data. During his Ph.D., he spent two months at New York University as visiting Ph.D. student. From 2017, he spent one year as postdoc researcher at the Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen (DTU) and two years as postdoc researcher at the University of Pisa. Since February 2020, he is Assistant Professor (research) of Computer Science at LUISS University.
His research is mostly focused on algorithms and data structures for the manipulation and analysis of compressed strings and graphs, both from the theoretical and practical viewpoints and with applications to bioinformatics. Within this research field, Nicola co-authored over 30 research articles, has been on the program committees of three international conferences, co-chaired an international workshop, and has been invited speaker at four international conferences.
Nicola is the recipient of the 2018 "Best Young Researcher in Theoretical Computer Science award" of the Italian Chapter of the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science (EATCS) and of the 2017 "Best Scientific Ph.D. thesis" of the University of Udine.
- 2020Assistant professor of Computer Science, Department of Business and Management, LUISS Guido Carli, Rome.
- 2018-2020 PostDoc researcher, Department of Computer Science, University of Pisa, Italy.
- 2017-2018 PostDoc researcher, AlgoLoG, DTU Compute, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Copenhagen.
- 2014-2017 Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Udine.
- 2020 Informatica, LUISS Guido Carli, Roma.
- 2019 Fondamenti di Programmazione e Laboratorio, University of Pisa.
- 2018 Fondamenti di Programmazione e Laboratorio, University of Pisa.
- 2018 Compact data structures (Summer School), University of Coruña, Spain.
- 2017 Compact data structures (Ph.D course), Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen.
- Program Committee of 27th International Symposium on String Processing and Information Retrieval (SPIRE 2020), Florida.
- Organizing Committee of ALGO 2020, Pisa.
- Program Committee of 31th Annual Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern Matching (CPM 2020), Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Organizing Committee of 30th International Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithms (IWOCA 2019), Pisa.
- Organizing Committee of 30th Annual Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern Matching (CPM 2019), Pisa.
- Co-chair of 13th Workshop on Compression, Text and Algorithms (WCTA 2018), Lima, Peru.
- Program Committee of 29th Annual Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern Matching (CPM 2018), Qingdao, China.
Main publications (last 10 years)
- Gagie, Travis; Navarro, Gonzalo; Prezza, Nicola (2020). Fully Functional Suffix Trees and Optimal Text Searching in BWT-Runs Bounded Space. JOURNAL OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMPUTING MACHINERY, p. 1-54. ISSN 0004-5411. https://doi.org/10.1145/3375890.
- Prezza, Nicola; Pisanti, Nadia; Sciortino, Marinella; Rosone, Giovanna (2019). SNPs Detection by eBWT Positional Clustering. ALGORITHMS FOR MOLECULAR BIOLOGY, p. 1-18. ISSN 1748-7188. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13015-019-0137-8.
- Fariña, Antonio; Martínez-Prieto, Miguel A.; Claude, Francisco; Navarro, Gonzalo; Lastra-Díaz, Juan J.; Prezza, Nicola; Seco, Diego (2019). On the reproducibility of experiments of indexing repetitive document collections. INFORMATION SYSTEMS, p. 181-194. ISSN 0306-4379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.is.2019.03.007.
- Navarro, Gonzalo; Prezza, Nicola (2019). Universal compressed text indexing. THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE, p. 41-50. ISSN 0304-3975. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcs.2018.09.007.
- Policriti, Alberto; Prezza, Nicola (2018). LZ77 Computation Based on the Run-Length Encoded BWT. ALGORITHMICA, p. 1986-2011. ISSN 0178-4617. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00453-017-0327-z.
- Bille, Philip; Gagie, Travis; Gørtz, Inge Li; Prezza, Nicola (2018). A separation between RLSLPs and LZ77. JOURNAL OF DISCRETE ALGORITHMS, p. 36-39. ISSN 1570-8667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jda.2018.09.002.
- Prezza, Nicola; Vezzi, Francesco; Käller, Max; Policriti, Alberto (2016). Fast, accurate, and lightweight analysis of BS-treated reads with ERNE 2. BMC BIOINFORMATICS, p. 235-245. ISSN 1471-2105. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12859-016-0910-3.
- Engström, Karin; Wojdacz, Tomasz K.; Marabita, Francesco; Ewels, Philip; Käller, Max; Vezzi, Francesco; Prezza, Nicola; Gruselius, Joel; Vahter, Marie; Broberg, Karin (2016). Transcriptomics and methylomics of CD4-positive T cells in arsenic-exposed women. ARCHIVES OF TOXICOLOGY, p. 2067-2078. ISSN 0340-5761. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-016-1879-4.
- Policriti, Alberto; Prezza, Nicola (2015). Fast randomized approximate string matching with succinct hash data structures. BMC BIOINFORMATICS, p. 1-8. ISSN 1471-2105. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-16-S9-S4.