After obtaining a Ph.D. in Computer Science at Columbia University in 1991, Professor Italiano worked at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights (New York, USA) from 1991 to 1996. In 1994, when he was 33 years old, he won a national competition to become a full professor and returned back to Italy. He became Professor of Computer Science at University of Salerno and University “Ca’ Foscari” of Venice. In 1997, he was Distinguished Visiting Professor at Max Plank Institut fur Informatik, Saarbruecken, Germany. In 1998, he was Visiting Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Hong Kong. In 2000, he was Visiting Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Columbia University. Since 1998, he has been Professor at University of Rome “Tor Vergata”.
From 2001 to 2007, Professor Italiano was a Member of the Board of Directors of Consorzio Roma Ricerche, a consortium that supports and promotes technology transfer from research to industry. He co-founded two successful startups focusing on technology, TrustMyPhone and Wireless Lab. At University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, he was the Rector’s Delegate to the CRUI, Conferenza dei Rettori delle Università Italiane for the Campus One project, and from 2002 to 2008, he was Chair of the Evaluation Committee. From 2004 to 2012, he was Chair of the Department of Computer Science, Systems and Production at the University of Rome “Tor Vergata”. Since 2013, he has acted as Vice Rector for Quality, Evaluation and Performance at University of Rome “Tor Vergata”.
In 2006, Professor Italiano was nominated a member of the Council of the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science (EATCS). In 2011, he was nominated member of the Gödel Prize Committee, which assigns the illustrious Gödel Prize for outstanding papers in theoretical computer science. He is editor-in-chief and associate editor of several international journals, he has been invited to lecture in several international conferences, and he has been member or chair of numerous program committees of international conferences. He is author or co-author of more than 250 scientific publications and international conferences concerning computer science, and he has acted as an IT consultant for several international firms in Italy and the USA (AT&T, IBM, Lucent Bell Labs and Microsoft).
Main publications (last 10 years)
- Acuña, V.; Grossi, R.; Italiano, G. F.; Lima, L.; Rizzi, R.; Sacomoto, G.; Sagot, M. -F.; Sinaimeri, B. (2020). On Bubble Generators in Directed Graphs. ALGORITHMICA, p. 898-914. ISSN 0178-4617. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00453-019-00619-z.
- Georgiadis, L.; Italiano, G. F.; Karanasiou, A. (2020). Approximating the smallest 2-vertex connected spanning subgraph of a directed graph. THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE, p. 185-200. ISSN 0304-3975. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcs.2019.09.040.
- Bhattacharya, S; Henzinger, M; Italiano, G (2018). Dynamic algorithms via the primal-dual method. INFORMATION AND COMPUTATION, p. 219-239. ISSN 0890-5401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ic.2018.02.005.
- Bhattacharya, Sayan; Henzinger, Monika; Italiano, Giuseppe F. (2018). Deterministic fully dynamic data structures for vertex cover and matching. SIAM JOURNAL ON COMPUTING, p. 859-887. ISSN 0097-5397. https://doi.org/10.1137/140998925.
- Paudel, Nilakantha; Georgiadis, Loukas; Italiano, Giuseppe F. (2018). Computing critical nodes in directed graphs. ACM JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL ALGORITHMICS, p. 1-24. ISSN 1084-6654. https://doi.org/10.1145/3228332.
- Georgiadis, L; Italiano, G; Laura, L; Parotsidis, N (2018). 2-vertex connectivity in directed graphs. INFORMATION AND COMPUTATION, p. 248-264. ISSN 0890-5401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ic.2018.02.007.
- Georgiadis, L; Italiano, G; Karanasiou, A; Papadopoulos, C; Parotsidis, N (2017). Sparse certificates for 2-connectivity in directed graphs. THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE, p. 40-66. ISSN 0304-3975. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcs.2017.06.015.
- Ausiello, G; Franciosa, P; Italiano, G; Ribichini, A. (2016). On Resilient Graph Spanners. ALGORITHMICA, p. 1363-1385. ISSN 0178-4617. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00453-015-0006-x.
- Georgiadis, L; Italiano, G; Laura, L; Parotsidis, N (2016). 2-Edge Connectivity in Directed Graphs. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON ALGORITHMS, p. 1-24. ISSN 1549-6325. https://doi.org/10.1145/2968448.
- Firmani, D; Georgiadis, L; Italiano, G; Laura, L; Santaroni, F (2016). Strong Articulation Points and Strong Bridges in Large Scale Graphs. ALGORITHMICA, p. 1123-1147. ISSN 0178-4617. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00453-015-9991-z.
- Querini, M; Grillo, A; Italiano, G; Lentini, A (2011). 2D Color Barcodes for Mobile Phones. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMPUTER SCIENCE & APPLICATIONS, p. 136-155. ISSN 0972-9038.