2022 – Professor, Luiss University – Angelini Industries Chair in Strategic Innovation
2018 – 2022 Professor of Strategic Management, IESE Business School
2016 – 2018 Associate Professor of Strategic Management, IESE Business School
2013 – 2015 Associate Professor of Strategy, Bocconi University
2005 – 2013 Assistant Professor of Strategy, Bocconi University
2005 Ph.D. in Management, IESE Business School, Barcelona, Spain
1997 Laurea in Industrial Engineering, University of Brescia, Italy
2018 – 2022 Luiss University, Instructor in the PhD Program
2020 University of Zurich, Instructor in the PhD Program
Sep 2013 – Oct 2013 SKEMA Business School, France, Instructor in the PhD Program
Sep 2011 – Oct 2011 K.U. Leuven, Belgium
Sep 2009 – May 2010 Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Canada
Sep 2003 – Aug 2004 Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University, USA
2022 – Luiss University
Management of Innovation (MSc)
2016 – 2022 IESE Business School2
Competitive Strategy (MBA and Executive Education Programs), Corporate
Strategy (MBA and Executive MBA), Research Methods (PhD), Strategy
modules in Custom Programs with companies like Danone, Erste Bank,
Faurecia, Ferrero, Hanon Systems, Henkel, Idom, Leschaco, Nissan, Puig,
Schneider Electric, WebSummit.
2005 – 2015 Bocconi University
Corporate Strategy (MSc); Technology and Innovation Strategy (MBA);
Entrepreneurial Strategy (Undergraduate); Industry Dynamics and Competition
(PhD); Competitive Strategy (MSc and Undergraduate).
2001 – 2003 ESCI – Pompeu Fabra University
International Strategy (Undergraduate).
PUBLICATIONS IN REFEREED JOURNALS
• “When are acquisitions a viable catch-up strategy? Some empirical evidence from China” (with D. Li),
Long Range Planning, forthcoming.
• “Commitment and Competitive Advantage in a Digital World” (with B. Cassiman and JE. Ricart),
Strategy Science, 2022, 7, p. 130-137.
• “Institutional protection of minority employees and entrepreneurship: Evidence from the LGBT
employment non-discrimination acts” (with R. Conti and O. Kacperczyk). Strategic Management
Journal, 2022, 44, p. 758-791.
• “Super Partes? Assessing the Effect of Judicial Independence on Entry” (with R. Conti). Management
Science, 2018, 64, p. 3517-3535.
• “Learning or inertia? The impact of experiential and deliberate learning on post-acquisition
integration” (with F. Castellaneta and M. Zollo). Industrial and Corporate Change, 2018, 27, p. 577-
• “Bribery and investment: Firm-level evidence from Africa and Latin America” (with A. Birhanu and A.
Gambardella). Strategic Management Journal, 2016, 37, p. 1865-1877.
• “Open Innovation: Are inbound and outbound knowledge flows really complementary?” (with B.
Cassiman). Strategic Management Journal, 2016, 37, p. 1034-1046.
• “The impact of M&A on rivals’ innovation strategy.” Long Range Planning, 2016, 49, p. 241-249.
• “The role of technology in M&A: The case of the U.S. healthcare market” (with N. Mas). Industrial and
Corporate Change, 2015, 24, p. 511-537.
• “Strategic Incentives to Human Capital” (with A. Gambardella and C. Panico). Strategic Management
Journal, 2015, 36, p. 37-52.
• “The Rejuvenation of Inventors through Corporate Spin-Outs” (with S. Brusoni and B. Cirillo),
Organization Science, 2014, 25, p. 1764-1784.
• “Selective Learning-by-exporting: Firm size and product versus process innovation” (with E. Golovko).
Global Strategy Journal, 2014, 4, p. 161-180.
• “The effects of legal reforms on the ownership structure of listed companies” (with F. Cuomo and A.
Zattoni). Industrial and Corporate Change, 2013, 22, p. 427-458.
• “M&A and the profile of inventive activity” (with C. Di Guardo). Strategic Organization, 2012, 10, p.
• “Measuring the effect of M&A on patenting quantity and quality”. Strategic Management Journal,
2012, 33, p. 336-346.
• “Exploring the complementarity between Innovation and Export for SMEs’ Growth” (with E. Golovko).
Journal of International Business Studies, 2011, 42, p. 362-380.
• “Organizing links with science: cooperate or contract? A project level approach” (with B. Cassiman
and C. Di Guardo). Research Policy, 2010, 39, p. 882-892.
• “Organizing R&D Projects: Insights from Co-opetition” (with B. Cassiman and C. Di Guardo). Long
Range Planning, 2009, 42, p. 216-233.
• “Strategic Organization of R&D: The Choice of Basicness and Openness” (with B. Cassiman). Strategic
Organization, 2009, 7, p. 43-73.
• “Taking actively advantage of MNCs’ presence” (with C. Di Guardo). Small Business Economics, 2007,
28, p. 55-68.
• “Design combination potential and get it done: An analysis of the drivers of technological
performance in M&As” (with C. Di Guardo). Management Research, 2004, 2, p. 271-281.
• “The consignment stock of inventories: Industrial case and performance analysis” (with L. Zavanella).
International Journal of Production Economics, 2003, 81-82, p. 215-224.
• “Assessing the effects of the network of strategic alliances on M&A decisions: Some empirical
evidence from the US semiconductor industry” (with M. Testoni and S. Breschi). In: A. Risberg, D.R.
King, O. Meglio (eds.), The Routledge Companion to Mergers and Acquisitions, Routledge, 2016.
• “International Open Innovation: Taking Stock and Moving Forward” (with B. Cirillo). In: F. Rowe and
D. Te’eni (eds.), Innovation and IT in an international context. R&D, Strategy and Operations,
Palgrave MacMillan, 2014.
• “Acquisition and Diversification Behavior in Large Family Firms” (with A. Dawson). In: K. Smyrnios et
al. (eds.), Handbook of Research on Family Business, Edward Elgar, 2013.
• “Beyond Knowledge Bases: Towards a Better Understanding of the Effects of M&A on Technological
Performance” (with A. Dawson). In: C. Cooper and S. Finkelstein (eds.), Advances in Mergers and
Acquisitions vol. 9, Emerald, 2010.
• “Explaining the effect of M&A on technological performance” (with C. Di Guardo). In: C. Cooper and
S. Finkelstein (eds.), Advances in Mergers and Acquisitions vol. 6, Elsevier, 2007.
• “Trends in mergers and acquisitions” (with L Sleuwaegen). In: B. Cassiman and M. Colombo (eds.),
Mergers and acquisitions: The innovation impact, Edward Elgar, 2006.
• “Organizing MNCs for value creation: Introduction” (with B. Cassiman). In: A. Ariño, P. Ghemawat
and J.E. Ricart (eds.), Creating value through global strategy, Palgrave Macmillan, London, 2004.
• “Managing stocks in supply chains: Modeling and issues” (with L. Abdel-Malek and L. Zavanella). In:
S. Seuring and M. Goldbach (eds.), Cost management in supply chains, Physica Verlag, Heidelberg,
WORKING PAPERS / WORK IN PROGRESS
• “Big for everyone? The different effect of Big Data on the Productivity of Large vs. Small Firms” (with
R. Conti and M. Godinho de Matos).4
• “Meet me halfway: Financial analysts and strategic change” (with I. Blanco, F. Ferraro, and D.
• “How do Firms Learn by Exporting?” (with E. Golovko).
• “Measuring the value of patents where it matters most” (with G. Marchesini)
AWARDS AND HONORS
• Academy of Management, Best OMT Entrepreneurship Paper Award and Academy of Management
Best Papers Proceedings. “Discrimination and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from LGBT Rights Laws”
(with R. Conti and O. Kacperczyk) (2018).
• Outstanding Reviewer, Strategic Management Journal (2014).
• Academy of Management Best Papers Proceedings (BPS Division). “Bribery and its Firm-Level
Outcomes in Africa and Latin America” (with A. Birhanu, A. Gambardella) (2013).
• Winner, INFORMS - Technology Management Section, Best PhD Dissertation Award (2006)
• Academy of Management Best Papers Proceedings (BPS Division). “Mergers & Acquisitions and
technological performance” (2005)
• Finalist, Academy of Management, TIM Division, Best Student Paper Award (2005)
• Outstanding Reviewer, BPS Division, Academy of Management (2004)
• Fondazione IRI Fellowship for research in the U.S. (2003 – 2004)
• Academy of Management Small Scholarship (2003)
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS (last 5 years)
• “Meet me halfway: Financial analysts and strategic change”, Bocconi University, Luiss University
2021; Tilburg University, 2022.
• “Big for everyone? The different effect of Big Data on the Productivity of Large vs. Small Firms”, 2020
Strategic Management Society Conference.
• “Discrimination and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from a natural experiment”, Loughborough
University, London, 2019; University of Milan, 2020.
• “Giving the analysts what they want: Evidence from changes in strategic resource allocation
patterns” Frankfurt School of Finance & Management, 2019.
• “Firm Scale and Scope and New Knowledge Connections in the Technological Space”, 2018 Strategic
Management Society Conference.
• “Discrimination and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from LGBT Rights Laws”, University College London,
EM Lyon, INSEAD Doriot Entrepreneurship Conference, 2018.
• “Foreign Cuisine or Local Delicacies? How Sectors Matter in Acquisition-Productivity Linkage”, 2017
Strategic Management Society Conference.
Director of the PhD Program, IESE Business School (2018-2022).
Member of the Hiring Committee, Department of Strategic Management, IESE Business School (2016-
Deputy Director of the Bocconi PhD Program in Business Administration and Management (2008-2015).
Member of the Junior Hiring Committee, Department of Management & Technology, Bocconi University
Associate Program Chair and then Chair, Strategic Management Society, Knowledge and Innovation
Interest Group (2020-2022)
Representative-at-large, Strategic Management Society, Knowledge and Innovation Interest Group
Representative-at-large, Academy of Management, Technology and Innovation Management (TIM)
Member of the Awards Committee, Academy of Management, Business Policy and Strategy (BPS)
Member of the Executive Committee, Academy of Management, Business Policy and Strategy (BPS)
Member of the Research Committee, Academy of Management, Business Policy and Strategy (BPS)
Invited Faculty Member, Academy of Management, 2007 BPS Dissertation Doctoral Consortium and 2015
TIM Doctoral Consortium.
Co-Editor, Industrial and Corporate Change (since 2015).
Associate Editor, Management Science (since 2021).
Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Management (2008-2020) and Strategic Management
Journal (since 2013).
Ad hoc reviewer for: Academy of Management Journal, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Global
Strategy Journal, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Journal of Economics & Management
Strategy, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of
Management Studies, Management Science, Organization Science, Research Policy.
At IESE Business School
• A-Sung Hong (now employed at Aarhus University)
• Giacomo Marchesini (still completing the PhD)
At Bocconi University
• Raffaele Conti (now employed at ESSEC Business School)6
• Bruno Cirillo (now employed at SKEMA Business School)
• Martina Pasquini (now employed at IE Business School)
• Addis Birhanu (now employed at EM Lyon)