Aree di ricerca: Innovation, Knowledge Management and R&D, Intellectual property, Open innovation licensing, Patents
Maria Isabella Leone is currently Assistant Professor in of Management of Innovation at the Department of Business and Management of LUISS Guido Carli University in Rome.
From January 2008, she has been the executive coordinator of the Ph.D. program in Management, thought in English, held at LUISS and directed by Full Professor Andrea Prencipe.
She was Assistant Professor in Economics & Business and Economics and Management of Innovation at LUMSA, in Rome, from October 2009 till May 2012.
She also have worked as lecturer on "IP Valuation in licensing agreements" within the Executive Master in Management of Intellectual Property at Alma Graduate School, University of Bologna; within the Advanced Course on "University Licensing: biotech and software patents valuation" organized by the Network for University research valorisation (NETVAL); within the advanced course for TTO's personnel organized by ARTI PUGLIA (Regional Agency for Technology & Innovation); and for ad hoc seminars for private and public TTOs.
She is currently member of the PRIN (Progetto di Ricerca di Interesse Nazionale) Project on "Market and non – market mechanisms for the exchange and diffusion of innovation: when do they work, when they do not work, and why should we care", whose LUISS coordinator is Prof. Raffaele Oriani (Prof. Alfonso Gambardella is the national coordinator). She is leading the WP 1.4. on " Licensing as a source of technological learning" and WP 2.1. on " Financial instruments for technology transfer".
Since 2010 she has been a scientific member of the Danish Research Project on "Open Innovation Search" (subproject "Technological search and in-licensing") coordinated by Copenhagen Business School, financed by the Danish Social Science Research Council.
From 2007 to 2009 she worked as a researcher of the European Project on the "The Economic Valuation of Patents", coordinated by University of Bologna, financed by the European Investment Bank, under the EIBURS project – University of Research Sponsorship Programme. From 2005 to 2006 she participated as junior researcher to the European Project on "Egovernment Economics Project (Egep)" under the European Commission's Modinis programme.
She is also ad hoc referee for Strategic Management Journal, SMS Best Conference PhD paper Award, Journal of Management Studies; Research Policy, European Management Review, Journal of Small Business Management, Industry & Innovation, Creativity and Innovation Management, Technovation.
She got her PhD in Management from University of Bologna in June 2008. Her doctoral dissertation was on "Technology Acquisition through Patent Licensing: Implications for Firm's Strategy".
She earned a laurea cum laude in Economics and Business from LUISS Guido Carli University in 2004 (Dissertation awarded a special honour).
Pubblicazioni principali (ultimi 10 anni)
- Belingheri, Paola; Leone, MARIA ISABELLA (2017). Walking into the Room with IP: Exploring Start-ups’ IP Licensing Strategy. MANAGEMENT DECISION, p. 1209-1225. ISSN 0025-1747. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/MD-04-2016-0227.
- Laursen, Keld; Moreira, Solon; Reichstein, Toke; Leone, MARIA ISABELLA (2017). Evading the Boomerang Effect: Using the Grant-Back Clause to Further Generative Appropriability from Technology Licensing Deals. ORGANIZATION SCIENCE, p. 514-530. ISSN 1047-7039. http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2017.1130.
- Leone, Maria Isabella; Belingheri, Paola (2017). The relevance of Innovation for Ethics, Responsibility and Sustainability. INDUSTRY AND INNOVATION, p. 437-445. ISSN 1366-2716. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13662716.2017.1310036.
- A, Capogrosso; Leone, M. I. (2017). FDI and Reverse Technology Spillovers: the Novo Nordisk Case. LAMBERT ACADEMIC PUBLISHING, p. 1-124. ISBN: 978-3-330-08676-0.
- Leone, Maria Isabella; Reichstein, Toke; Boccardelli, Paolo; Magnusson, Mats (2016). License to learn: an investigation into thin and thick licensing contracts. R & D MANAGEMENT, p. 326-340. ISSN 0033-6807. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/radm.12187.
- Leone, M.I. (2016). Intellectual Property and Open Innovation: Unlocking the Value of Patents through Licensing. McGraw-Hill Education, p. 1-130. ISBN: 9788838675348.
- Leone, Maria Isabella; Moreira, Solon; Oriani, Raffaele (2015). Financial constraints in Markets for technology: Licensing as a source of finance. ACADEMY OF MANAGEMENT ANNUAL MEETING PROCEEDINGS, p. 1-1. ISSN 2151-6561. http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMBPP.2015.15091abstract.
- Leone, Maria Isabella; Oriani, Raffaele; Reichstein Toke (2015). How much are flexibility and uncertainty worth in patent licensing?. ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, p. 371-394. ISSN 0391-2078. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40812-015-0020-7.
- L. Mongelli; M. I. Leone; A. Martini; F. Rullani; J. Björk; K. Visscher (2015). Editorial. CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION MANAGEMENT, p. 1-3. ISSN 1467-8691. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/caim.12112.
- M. I. Leone; T. Reichstein (2012). Licensing Fosters Rapid Innovation! The Effect of the Grant-Back clause and Technological Unfamiliarity. STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT JOURNAL, p. 965-985. ISSN 0143-2095. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.1950.
- M. I. Leone (2011). Strategie di acquisizione tecnologica tramite licenze: nuove prospettive sul Licensing-in. ECONOMIA, IMPRESA E MERCATI FINANZIARI, p. 71-93. ISSN 1970-0911.
- LAURSEN. K; LEONE M.I.;TORRISI S. (2010). Technological exploration through licensing: new insights from the licensee’s point of view. INDUSTRIAL AND CORPORATE CHANGE, p. 871-897. ISSN 0960-6491. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtq034.