Dr. Ian McCarthy is a Professor of Technology Management at Luiss. He visits from Simon Fraser University where he is a Professor of Technology and Operations Management. His research and teaching interests include operations management, change and innovation management, and social media. At Luiss he is working with colleagues on innovation and intellectual property management, and is interested in how Luiss supports innovation and entrepreneurship using initiatives such as its’ EnLabs.
Previously he was a faculty member at the Universities of Warwick and Sheffield, a Fulbright Scholar at Georgia Institute of Technology, and worked at Philips Electronics and Alcan. His research and teaching interests include operations management, change and innovation management, and social media. His research has been published in many top journals, including: Academy of Management Review, Industry and Corporate Change, California Management Review, Technovation, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, R&D Management, Business Horizons and OMEGA. My research has featured in other publication media, including The Economist Magazine, the Huffington Post, Business Insider and The Globe and Mail.
Ian also blogs about the management of innovation, operations and strategic change at It Depends.
Main publications (last 10 years)
- Mccarthy, I. P.; Silvestre, B. S.; von Nordenflycht, A.; Breznitz, S. M. (2018). A typology of university research park strategies: what parks do and why it matters. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT, p. 110-122. ISSN 0923-4748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2018.01.004.
- Baccarella, C. V.; Wagner, T. F.; Kietzmann, J. H.; Mccarthy, I. P. (2018). Social media? It's serious! Understanding the dark side of social media. EUROPEAN MANAGEMENT JOURNAL, p. 431-438. ISSN 0263-2373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2018.07.002.
- Bogers, M.; Zobel, A. -K.; Afuah, A.; Almirall, E.; Brunswicker, S.; Dahlander, L.; Frederiksen, L.; Gawer, A.; Gruber, M.; Haefliger, S.; Hagedoorn, J.; Hilgers, D.; Laursen, K.; Magnusson, M. G.; Majchrzak, A.; Mccarthy, I. P.; Moeslein, K. M.; Nambisan, S.; Piller, F. T.; Radziwon, A.; Rossi-Lamastra, C.; Sims, J.; Ter Wal, A. L. J. (2017). The open innovation research landscape: established perspectives and emerging themes across different levels of analysis. INDUSTRY AND INNOVATION, p. 8-40. ISSN 1366-2716. https://doi.org/10.1080/13662716.2016.1240068.
- Ruckman, K.; Mccarthy, I. (2017). Why do some patents get licensed while others do not?. INDUSTRIAL AND CORPORATE CHANGE, p. 667-688. ISSN 1464-3650. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtw046.
- Mccarthy, I. P.; Collard, M.; Johnson, M. (2017). Adaptive organizational resilience: an evolutionary perspective. CURRENT OPINION IN ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY, p. 33-40. ISSN 1877-3435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2017.07.005.
- de Beer, J.; Mccarthy, I. P.; Soliman, A.; Treen, E. (2017). Click here to agree: Managing intellectual property when crowdsourcing solutions. BUSINESS HORIZONS, p. 207-217. ISSN 0007-6813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2016.11.002.
- Mccarthy, I. P.; Ruckman, K. (2017). Licensing speed: Its determinants and payoffs. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT, p. 52-66. ISSN 0923-4748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2017.11.002.
- Robson, K.; Plangger, K.; Kietzmann, J. H.; Mccarthy, I.; Pitt, L. (2016). Game on: Engaging customers and employees through gamification. BUSINESS HORIZONS, p. 29-36. ISSN 0007-6813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2015.08.002.
- Bliemel, M. J.; Mccarthy, I. P.; Maine, E. M. A. (2016). Levels of Multiplexity in Entrepreneur's Networks: Implications for Dynamism and Value Creation. ENTREPRENEURSHIP RESEARCH JOURNAL, p. 247-272. ISSN 2194-6175. https://doi.org/10.1515/erj-2015-0001.
- Wang, E. J.; Berthon, P.; Pitt, L.; Mccarthy, I. P. (2016). Service, emotional labor, and mindfulness. BUSINESS HORIZONS, p. 655-661. ISSN 0007-6813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2016.07.002.
- Xie, Z.; Hall, J.; Mccarthy, I. P.; Skitmore, M.; Shen, L. (2016). Standardization efforts: The relationship between knowledge dimensions, search processes and innovation outcomes. TECHNOVATION, p. 69-78. ISSN 0166-4972. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2015.12.002.
- Bogers, M.; Mccarthy, I. P.; Pitt, L. (2015). Leveraging users as innovators: Managing the creative potential of individual consumers. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT, p. 3-5. ISSN 0923-4748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2015.09.001.
- Prpic, J.; Shukla, P. P.; Kietzmann, J. H.; Mccarthy, I. P. (2015). How to work a crowd: Developing crowd capital through crowdsourcing. BUSINESS HORIZONS, p. 77-85. ISSN 0007-6813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2014.09.005.
- Robson, K.; Plangger, K.; Kietzmann, J. H.; Mccarthy, I.; Pitt, L. (2015). Is it all a game? Understanding the principles of gamification. BUSINESS HORIZONS, p. 411-420. ISSN 0007-6813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2015.03.006.
- Hannah, D. R.; Mccarthy, I. P.; Kietzmann, J. (2015). We're leaking, and everything's fine: How and why companies deliberately leak secrets. BUSINESS HORIZONS, p. 659-667. ISSN 0007-6813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2015.07.003.
- Berthon, P.; Pitt, L.; Kietzmann, J.; Mccarthy, I. P. (2015). CGIP: MAnaging consumer-generated intellectual property. CALIFORNIA MANAGEMENT REVIEW, p. 43-62. ISSN 0008-1256. https://doi.org/10.1525/cmr.2015.57.4.43.
- Malek, K.; Maine, E.; Mccarthy, I. P. (2014). A typology of clean technology commercialization accelerators. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY, p. 26-39. ISSN 0747-9964. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2013.10.006.